Tuesday, July 24, 2012

God's Plan: It's complicated, with a hint of Fox News


“It’s God’s plan”

So says  George Zimmerman, a man charged with second degree murder in the shooting death of an unarmed black 17 year old boy, during an interview with Fox News. He has no regrets, he says. It was all God’s plan.

I’m going to go ahead and call bullshit.

Now there’s a lot of talk about “God” – what God looks like, where God is, what God’s doing, what God’s plan is for all of us, etc. Many people don’t believe in God; others believe in “something” but they aren’t sure what that is; and still others have a very strong, concrete idea of God and what role God plans – or should play – in our lives.
I wonder if it was in God’s plan for George Zimmerman to shoot an unarmed child.

Let’s really think about this. I’m going to use the bible here since it’s such a popular text to throw at everything. Yes, I’ve actually read parts of the bible. And I gotta tell you – none of this is God’s plan.
Here’s what God’s plan was: to create an amazing, fruitful, peaceful land of plenty, followed by a dude and some animals. Then later, he saw the dude getting restless and created a woman. The man named all the animals and everyone was naked. God hoped that the man and the woman would procreate, build, and harvest.  And he also said, “Hey don’t eat no apples off this one tree, ya dig?”

Meanwhile, in heaven, there was an angel named something other than Satan – I can’t remember what his or her name was pre-evil. I must admit, I didn't pay super close attention to the whole religion thing. Anywho, this particular angel was bored as shit and decided to make trouble. As a result, s/he was banished from heaven by God. Naturally, s/he went to Earth and convinced Eve to eat some delicious Granny Smith’s from the forbidden tree. That’s pretty much when everything hit the fan.
If you believe what the bible says, we’re currently in the middle of a battle of wills – the will of humans, which is tainted by the presence of Satan, and the will of God. Who do we blame? If George Zimmerman had said, "This all happened because of Satan," people would lose their minds. I'm not saying that's why this happened - the truth is, I don't know why it happened. But what I find disturbing is that it's become acceptable to tie a big God-bow around every situation and expect that to somehow lessen the severity of the crime. Sometimes you just did a terrible thing, and I’d have some actual respect for you if you’d just admit it.

I don’t know what I believe in – I believe in "something" and it’s personal. But whatever it is, I don’t use it to justify being an asshole. I don’t know if people like George Zimmerman are truly delusional to the point of a kind of  arrogance that prevents rational thought or if they are so terrified of the person they’ve become that they are desperately trying to justify their actions. Whatever it is, let’s just hope the justice system doesn’t buy it either.

1 comment:

  1. couldn't.agree.more. that's all i'll say or i could probably write a comment longer than this post itself.

    ReplyDelete