Monday, August 8, 2011

We'll Determine if Your Kids Are Blind, Deaf or Hypertensive Day

When I was a kid, I was a burgeoning alcoholic, desperate for attention. I could never have enough. I used to throw myself down the stairs so my mother would rush to my side and lavish me with concern, love and unconditional devotion.

And that is why I am nearly blind at age 35.

Not the stairs. Please; I was a kid, which means I was practically made of rubber and other bouncy material. An ass-over-tea kettle tumble down the stairs was a Saturday afternoon. No, my blindness came from my insatiable need for attention.

Here's how it works.

Remember all the tests you had to do when you were in elementary school? Blood pressure, hearing and vision. We all filed into the multipurpose room (which was used for a multitude of purposes) and made our way through the stations. You'd put the headphones on and raise the hand that corresponded with the ear in which you heard the beep. You'd have your blood pressure taken by a sadistic school nurse you were pretty sure was trying to cut off your arm using only her blood pressure cuff. You'd cover one eye and read the smallest line on the chart.

Incidentally, do they still do this? What was this all about, anyway? Were we a generation of children whose parents didn't take us to the doctor? My parents used to drop volumes of the encyclopedia on the kitchen floor to see if I was deaf because I talked so fucking loud. They also probably figured I would tell them if I couldn't see.

One year on We'll  Determine if Your Kids Are Blind, Deaf or Hypertensive Day, I decided that my parents needed to show me a little bit more concern, dammit. I covered one eye and read the top line on the eye chart. The teacher manning this particular station looked at me with concern.

"Is that the smallest line you can read, Dresden?"

"Yes," I replied, with wide brown eyed innocence. She wrote something in my chart.

A few weeks later, I left school early with my mother for a real vision test with a doctor. My little legs swung off the edge of the creepy chair they make you sit in and the doctor talked to me like you'd talk to any 8 year old...who was an idiot.

"Ok, now, Dresden. What we're going to do is cover up your left eye with this little thingamajig here. When your left eye is covered, I want you to look at the chart out there--you see that chart on the wall? The one with all the letters. Ok, I want you to look at that chart and read the smallest letters you can see. Are you ready? Ok, now, I'm going to cover your eye. I want you to read the smallest letters you can see."

"K H O R."

It was the top line, the line with the biggest letters. Even in the darkened room, I could see the concerned look that passed between my mother and the doctor. He did the same thing with my right eye and this time, I read the line directly under the top line. You know, so they didn't think I was blind. Then the doctor put some drops in my eyes and gave me a pair of disposable sunglasses because those are eye exploding drops and if you look directly at the sun after they give them to you, you'll turn to dust in an eyesplosion.

Then one day, it happened. I went to get glasses. This was a big fucking deal. I couldn't see, so my parents were very concerned, which meant I got glasses. Naturally, like any good 8 year old girl, I picked out the pink plastic frames. As anyone who has gotten glasses for the first time knows, a new prescription is like putting two random round bottoms of drinking glasses over each eye. It's what I imagined dropping acid would be like: circusy and unbalanced.

Eventually, Dresden Getting Glasses wasn't a big deal and I was just another fat nerd. Then my sister--the bitch--had the nerve to have seriously crooked teeth and got braces. I begged my parents for braces but they said I didn't need them. Braces were even better than glasses; every time my sister got her braces tightened, she'd lay on the couch moaning and my mother would let her eat ice cream and NO ONE PAID ANY ATTENTION TO MEEEEEEEE.

Now, AT 35, I'm fucking blind. I can't see shit. Without my glasses or contacts, anyone could easily take me prisoner. Justin Beiber could be standing right in front of my face telling me he's George Clinton and The Parliament Funkadelic and I'd be like, "Well...if you say so." Sometimes I wake up in the morning and don't put my glasses on right away and try to do something. I usually just end up knocking over everything in the room before I think, "Shit, where are my glasses?" I've taken my contacts out at night before knowing the exact location of my glasses and then flown into a full-blown panic because it's really hard to look for something when you can't see.

And all because I needed some attention. I should have stuck to throwing myself down the stairs.

For the next two weeks, I have to wear my glasses because I'm going into see Dr. Skywalker, who will determine if he can shave some layers off my eyeballs with his light saber and restore my sight. Even though I'm terrified of the process, I know I'll be happy when I can see. Or I'll be totally blind because he burned my retinas and drilled a laser hole in my iris. But then maybe they can do an eye transplant and I'll get the eyes of a serial killer and spend the rest of my life helping the police find the bodies of his victims. That would be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment