Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Ooooooooh Sir....Oh Sir.

Every now and then, I reach a new level of crazy when it comes to ignorance.  What happens next is I start writing letters.


In 1987, Oprah did her show live from Williamson, West Virginia.  The community was up in arms because a gay HIV+ man had jumped into a swimming pool.  He didn't jump in and masturbate or jump in with his partner and have anal sex.  He didn't jump in and open up his veins, screaming, "Now all y'all got this fuckin' disease!"  He simply jumped in the pool.


YES, I understand that in 1987, HIV/AIDS was new and people were scared.  But the reaction of the community was more than over-the-top.  So much so that Oprah Winfrey took herself to perhaps one of the scariest places for any kind of outsider and filmed an incredibly revealing show that highlighted the hatred, ignorance and out-of-control mob mentality. This so-called "Christian community"  had zero compassion that day for a young man who had come home basically to die.  Many people that day said horrible things to Mike and horrendous things about gays and people living with HIV.  Oprah invited some of those people back on her Sept 15, 2010 show and asked them if they regretted the things they said 23 years earlier.  ALL of them expressed sorrow and regret for how they treated Mike Sisco and his family...except one.  Jerry Waters, who, according to one website I read is a "Rush Limbaugh wanna-be", maintained his position.  FYI: his position in 1987 was to scream at Mike Sisco, "I'm disgusted by you and I'm disgusted by your lifestyle!"  Then he went on to have an ill-advised argument with a PhD in communicable diseases on THE MEDICAL FACTS.  Actually, the good doctor had facts.  Mr. Waters just interrupted a whole bunch.  He did say that he wishes he hadn't been so "passionate" about it But when asked by Oprah if he felt he owed an apology to Mike's sisters, who were there, he said, "I'm sorry for your loss."  Oh Mr. Waters...you, my friend, deserve a poorly crafted angry letter written by my shaking hands.


Hello Mr. Waters;

I would like to congratulate you on proving to the United States that it's really YOU and people as ignorant and hateful as you who should be quarantined.  Your embarrassing appearance on Oprah in 1987, where you screamed like a crazy person about how Mike Sisco, a gay HIV+ man, disgusted you, was championed only by your appearance on her show TODAY.  Your refusal to apologize for your disgusting comments is one of the saddest things I have ever witnessed.  People like you, Mr. Waters, are the reason people hate Americans.  Furthermore, I'd like you to consider where ignorance comes from.  Make no mistake, sir, you are indeed ignorant.  Ignorance comes from FEAR.  You are afraid of what you do not understand.  And, quite frankly, in this age of information, it's simply pathetic to continue to be uneducated about HIV and the gay community.  But...I would like to thank you for showing your true, hateful colors.  When we can identify bigots, it makes it that much easier to fight against you.  I'm pretty sure your need to be there in 1987 and "defend the community of Williamson" had more to do with your ambitions as a right-wing "personality."     According to what I've read about you on the internet, that plan has failed.  I hope it was worth it.  I really do.

Again, thank you for making yourself and West Virginia look like a pile of backwards hicks.  I'm sure you're a "man of God" and I gotta tell you:  GOD does not support people like you.  I think you're all in for a rude awakening.

Dresden Quinn Jones

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, it is not only the homosexuals and those who act so passionately as if it's all natural and okay (Give me an ever loving break....) who have the right to express their opinions.
    Those who take a different position have just as much right to speak despite the denigration, and name calling coming from those who are juxtaposed in their position

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. I don't know who you are, Margaret, but at no point in my blog did I say that only homosexuals are allowed to express their opinions. Not sure where you got that.... I believe we all have the right to express our opinions, which is why I posted a comment from someone who is clearly as ignorant as the man I wrote that letter to. If you're gonna keep reading my blog, honey, you better get used to it.

    ReplyDelete