Tuesday, August 17, 2010

It would be cool if you could call me and just say hi.

I don't think they have phones where you are.

Do you remember when we watched Casablanca? I do.

But the thing that I remember the most is the day we had some stupid fight about nothing. Some trivial, doesn't-even-matter argument and I walked away from you. I just turned and walked away and left you standing there. I was mad, probably crying because I tend to do that even if I'm not sad, just frustrated. I remember looking over my shoulder at one point and you were following me. Just a tiny, small little figure walking slowly after me, shoulders slumped forward, wearing that blueish-gray knit cap you wore for practically the whole year. You didn't look mad. You looked sad. And so, so small. I wish I had stopped, waited for you to catch up and squashed whatever crap had wedged itself between us. We could have sat on the lawn and drank Olympia beer and complained about how much it tasted like pee.

I remember the time you hooked up with the guy I told you I liked. So I went back to our dorm room and locked the door, knowing I had your keys in my backpack. I remember you sat on the other side of the door and knocked and cried and said you were sorry. I remember I forgave you pretty quickly and never thought of it as an actual betrayal. Because it wasn't; it was just girl drama and that shit don't matter. But those few minutes that I knowingly locked you out of our room were cruel, self-centered and incredibly immature. I wish I could have those minutes back. I wouldn't even think about closing the door on you.

I miss you every day. But today, I miss you a lot. A lot a lot a lot.

1 comment:

  1. i think i know who you are talking about, and i miss her too. i hear you cluckin big chicken.

    ReplyDelete